The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, there’s a gentle breeze and your family has no plans…pack up and go on a family picnic!
Picnics are a great way to enjoy the outdoors with your family, and they don’t need to be planned out. In fact, it’s easy to have a last-minute adventure with your family—all you need is a blanket, some food, and a location in mind.
In celebration of International Picnic Day on Saturday June 17, dust off your favourite picnic gear and get outside!
5 Tips to make your picnic a success
- Pack simple picnic foods. The picnic is about the experience—not necessarily the cuisine. Make simple sandwiches and include fruits and veggies that are simple to pack and devour. Don’t forget water, it is important to stay hydrated while out in the sun.
- Teamwork makes the dream work. You don’t have to be the only one doing the work for this last-minute picnic! Give your kids a task so they feel part of the team.
- Prepare your “go” bag/basket. If you want to make last minute picnics more frequent, consider packing a “go” picnic basket or bag of goodies so you don’t have to hunt down these items every time. Fill the bag with picnic essentials, like blankets, silverware, plates, napkins, and more.
- Choose a creative location. Your picnic doesn’t have to be confined to the picnic tables at the park! Find a location that fits your time and driving limits—it can even be in your backyard!
- Enjoy the experience. The most important part of your spontaneous picnic is the time spent with your family. Encourage everyone to be in the moment and savor the time with your kids while enjoying the great outdoors.
Simple & delicious picnic food ideas
- Cream cheese
- Wash and slice cucumber.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading cream cheese onto both slices of bread, place cucumber slices on one slice and then top with other slice of bread. Cut into triangles.
Slice & Stack Fruit Skewers
- Fruit: Grapes, kiwi, melon, pineapple, and strawberries
- Wooden skewers
- Wash and cut fruit into slices or cubes (grapes cut in half)
- Carefully place fruit on wooden skewers.
- Pack into long container.
Celery and Peanut Butter:
Place peanut butter in the bottom of a jar pr container, insert slices of celery and you are ready for easy snacking.
Toys and games:
Bring a variety of toys and games the whole family can enjoy together. If you’re heading to a picnic area with room to run, pack toys like kites, soccer balls or Frisbees.
You may also want to pack some storybooks or a travel sized version of your child’s favourite game such as tic-tac toe.