The Holiday season is here which means school closures for those in school and hopefully some time off work, both of which mean more time at home with your children. Children will be looking for something to do and looking to you for ideas. Are you wondering how you will keep your wee ones entertained throughout the holiday season? Here is a list of books, movies, activities and outings to keep your little ones happy.
Holiday and winter themed Books:
- Merry Christmas Mom and Dad by Mercer Mayer
- Bright Baby Touch and Feel Winter by Roger Priddy
- Dashing Through the Snow – A Canadian Jingle Bells by Helaine Becker
- The First Day of Winter by Denise Fleming
- Jolly Christmas Postman by Allan Ahlberg
- Winter is for Snow by Robert Neubecker
- Frosty the Snowman by Diane Muldrow
- Why I Love Winter by Daniel Howarth
- The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore
- Animals in Winter by Henrietta Bancroft
Holiday and Winter Themed Movies:
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Ice Age
- Frosty the Snowman
- Happy Feet
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- The Elf on a Shelf: An Elf’s Story
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- Snow Dogs
- The Polar Express
Activities Close to Home:
- Decorate a gingerbread house or gingerbread people.
- Use this recipe and make some gingerbread playdough https://tinyurl.com/mde7hhc
- Decorate the house for the holidays.
- Make snow globes https://tinyurl.com/kcy5o35
- Make a snowman, snow angels or have a snowball fight.
- Shovel snow for an elderly neighbour.
- Make a list and have your own winter scavenger hunt.
- Make some hot chocolate, but mix it up a bit and try something new https://tinyurl.com/q3f3xte
- Hit the trails, go on a winter hike or snowshoeing.
- Find a unique place to go skating.
- Go tobogganing
- Dogsledding is becoming a popular activity, but can be expensive.
- Walk around the neighbourhood and have a Christmas lights scavenger hunt https://tinyurl.com/oo78jmu
- Find a local festival, carnival or parade and check it out. https://www.festivalsandeventsontario.ca/
- Explore a new place.